Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Translate this page

For Braille, large print or audio, please contact us.

Parent View - Give Ofsted your view on your child's school

Speech & Language Specialist Support and Advice


At Spofforth CE Primary school we work hard to meet all the needs of our pupils including those who require additional support with speech and language. Universal speech and language support can be provided by class teachers and support staff.

Specialist speech and language support is classed as a ‘health service’. To that end specialist advice and support has to be accessed via a health centre (drop in speech and language clinics) or by visiting your General Practitioner (GP).

If a referral is made by a health practitioner this may result in a speech and language therapist being assigned to support the pupil. Some of this can and sometimes does take place in school allowing school to access this advice to further support the pupil and mean the child can access this support as part of their school day.

It has come to our attention recently that West Yorkshire speech and language therapists are not permitted to work in North Yorkshire schools. This means if you access a referral through a West Yorkshire GP (namely any of the GPs in Wetherby) your child will have any specialist support sessions away from school. Children will not be visited in school by speech and language therapists if the referral has come from a West Yorkshire health practitioner. We will liaise as effectively with speech and language therapists however they will not work in our school as we are a North Yorkshire school.

Our advice if you are considering seeking health advice in relation to speech and language is you do this through a North Yorkshire health service provider.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact our SENCo Mrs Zara Chantler.

Cookie Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Do you accept?